Sunday, May 31, 2009

We ran in our first 5K!



Chris and I ran in the Redlegs 5k race on Saturday! This was the first time either of us had ever run in a 5K so we are very proud of our accomplishment! We chose the Redlegs race because it seemed like a good route for beginners. Cincinnati has many hills so a lot of races around here are up and down but the Redlegs was mostly flat and actually ended on a down hill which was nice! Running does not come easy for us and we both hate it! Chris has been training for this 5k by using a program called from the couch to a 5K. I did not use the program but slowly worked my way into being able to run 3 miles. I had gotten to the point of being able to run 3 miles but it was a struggle so I was nervous about the race. Our only goal was to be able to complete the race without having to stop at any point. We did far better then I expected! Not only did we not stop but we ran at a decent pace. We finished in under 30 minutes! I was thinking we would cross the finish line around 30-35 minutes. I am waiting for our official times to be posted but my unofficial time is around 28 minutes and Chris was right behind me with 29 minutes. The race was sponsored by the Cincinnati Reds which was really neat because we got to finish at home plate! I got so excited seeing the finish that I went into a full sprint the last 50 or 100 yards. Chris took off after me. I got a shout out from the announcer saying, "Nice job little lady!" It was pretty funny! Chris said it took everything he had not to vomit and I was definitely tempted to stop at certain points but we persevered! I am really proud of the both of us! Our next goal is to be able to make it around Lunken which is a five mile loop. Thank you to Oggie who babysat Grady during the race. We have been horrible recently about taking videos and pictures. We forgot to bring our camera but thanks to the camera on Chris's iphone we were able to capture Grady getting to meet all three of the Red's Mascots! It was hilarious to see Grady looking at them and probably thinking to himself, "What in the heck are these creatures?!" He did seem to be entertained by them, he is a Reds fan in the making!! Congratulations to all who ran in the Redlegs and to anyone looking for a starter 5K to run in I highly recommend the Redlegs for your first 5K.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Congrats on your accomplishment!

Poppy said...

Maybe I'll give it a try next year...I'm sure I could do it in under an hour! Might need a medic at the end, though.