Sunday, August 24, 2008

The surprise arrival of Grady Christopher!





Wednesday 8-20-08 started out like any other day nothing seemed different about it. At 5:45pm I headed off to my yoga class. It wasn't until the near end of yoga class where my day suddenly became anything but ordinary. I felt a small leak and thought it was strange so I went to the bathroom expecting something more to happen. Nothing happened so I went back to finish the class. Then I leaked something again and it was more so I decided something is definitely going on and I should probably go home. I called Chris and told him that my water may or may not have broke. I just did not think it could be my water because I still had a month left of pregnancy! However I knew that it had to be it because what else in the heck was going on with my body? We called the Dr. when I got home and explained to her what was going on. She said more then likely it is nothing probably a false alarm but we should go on to the hospital anyway and get checked out.
When we got to the triage room we repeated to them what was going and they too were skeptical. So I was really in the mind set that this was nothing and I was going to be sent home. I was going to be all embarrassed because Grady probably had just put pressure on my bladder and I had peed myself. However Just as they were about to check things out a lot more fluid came out! Then suddenly everyone's attitude had changed and the Dr. said yeah you are probably not going home without a baby. What?!! Chris and I were in total shock! The Fern test then confirmed the Dr.'s statement we were indeed going to be headed up to the labor room. It was funny because the nurse asked me if I was having any contractions and I said no. Then she hooked me up to the monitor and said well you are having one right now. Ha I just did not feel them early on but don't worry I felt them later!
I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced when we entered the labor delivery room. My goal was to get to 5cm dilated before getting the epidural since the epidural would slow things way day. Things were moving along slow until I had a cervical exam again. The exam kicked things into gear and I almost got to 5cm before I just could not take it anymore. The epidural went in at around 4 1/2 cm dilated and it was a much needed relief. Ah the epidural was so great, I was able to then take a little nap. It really did slow thing down though so at around 9 in morning they decided it was time to get things going and they induced me with pictocin. close to 12 they had me sit up to get Grady to drop on his own. Then at little after noon I began to push and wow it happened so quick! Grady was out at 12:11! I think it was only seven minutes of pushing. I couldn't feel a thing because of the drugs so really the pushing was not bad at all for me. I had a love hate relationship with the epidural. Loved not feeling those contractions or the actual birth but hated not feeling my legs and feeling noxious. I almost cried at one point because I hated the drugs it just scares me to have heavy legs with no feeling.
Originally when we took the hospital tour and heard about the option of watching the birth with a mirror both Chris and I flinched and thought eeww no. However I totally changed my mind once in the moment. I wanted to see everything! Seeing him being born and then having them put him in my arms was the most amazing thing I have ever done! Chris and I both weeped immediately. There just are not enough words to describe the beautiful moment it truly is! I finally get it! I finally understand what I had been hearing about for so long, I finally get the LOVE OF A MOTHER! There is absolutely nothing like it .

2 comments:

Leanne B. said...

Love all the pictures and am so happy for you guys! Ah, and yes, epidurals are the best thing ever! It's definitely strange to not feel your legs, but I thought it was better than the alternative! Welcome to mommyhood! We would love to see Mr. Grady sometime soon! Perhaps we can pay you all a visit in a few weeks, once things slow down a bit. :)

Katie said...

YIPPEE! I am so glad you posted about the birth. I was dying to know what happened. Congrats. Grady is precious and I am so glad you are so in love. It is amazing, isn't it? I look forward to hearing more stories and watching that sweet boy grow up.