Let me start by saying that apparently it is common for infants/kids to work themselves up so much that they don't breathe. Well Grady happens to be one of these infants! He has only done it a few times so I never think to tell a sitter, "Oh by the way he may cry really hard and temporarily stop breathing resulting in a blue/purple face!" You can guess where I am going with this. The poor sitter called us in a panic because Grady had shown her his magic trick of freaking out and turning his face blue. We went home immediately to assure her everything is ok. All you can do when he does his magic trick is gently blow in his face or just pick him up and calm him down. He just needs to take a breath! Some kids pass out and others even seizure after doing it. We are lucky in that so far we have been able to get Grady to calm down and take a breath when he freaks out. As scary as this all sounds it is not a cause for major concern unless it is happening frequently and of course if it results in a seizure! I think I will panic if he passes out but apparantley the passing out is not as big of a deal as it seems! They just wake up a little lethargic. The passing out actually gets them to take the breath they need. Hmmm I am sure I will probably FREAK if he passes out! We are now well aware that we need to tell sitters and anyone who will be watching him that it is unlikely but he may throw a fit and temporarily stop breathing. He has done it maybe four times now on different occaisions. The last time he did it was about 2 months ago. They are unpredictable so we never know when he might do it. I wouldn't be so calm about this but it is a behavior of many infants/kids so I know there is nothing wrong with him, it is just a phase he needs to grow out of. He could be doing it up to 3 years old! Hopefully he will stop before that because it is scary to watch him do it! The poor babysitter had no clue what was going on! I felt really bad!
1 comment:
Didn't Chris used to do that when he was a baby? I swear Yola told me that when she came to see Riley the first time.
Post a Comment